PhD in Communication
The programme is designed to produce communication scholars and professionals who are committed to spiritual, moral, intellectual and creative excellence. It involves an appreciation of the Western and Islamic heritage behind the current media forms and institutions, exposing students to the contributions of Western and Muslim scholars in developing concepts, theories, principles and practises in the discipline of communication. Modern techniques are recognized as important tools in effective communication and receive special attention in the programme.
This is a full time and a part-time programme that requires a minimum of 3 years (6 semesters) and 5 years (10 semesters) respectively to complete. The maximum period allowed for the programme is 6 years (12 semesters) for the former and 8 years (16 semesters) for the latter.
Candidates are trained in communication theories, research methods and Islamisation of human knowledge to prepare them for the challenging task of producing original research in the form of a dissertation/thesis. The expected length of the dissertation/thesis is around 80,000 - 100,000 words.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the relevant discipline with good grades from institutions recognized by the Senate of the University.
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline or its equivalent with good grades.
- English proficiency level at the following score:
Minimum TOEFL (Paper Based) : 550
Minimum IELTS : Band 6
- A good grade is normally interpreted as a minimum cumulative grade points average (CGPA) of 3.0 on the scale of 4 or its equivalent.
- Candidates are required to provide evidence of English proficiency by submitting their proficiency certificates before the beginning of the programme. If they fail to do so, they will be required to sit for the IIUM-administered English Placement Test (EPT).
- Candidates who fail to obtain the required proficiency but are still interested to join the programme must take pre-sessional English courses at the university's Centre for Languages (CELPAD) or other recognized institutions.
Department of Communication,
Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences,
International Islamic University Malaysia,
P.O. Box 10, 50728 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel. No.: 603 6196 5134/5135
Fax. No.: 603 6196 5057