Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration
The Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences seeks to prepare students with the necessary knowledge and Islamic values to face the increasingly challenging world. It offers students the unique opportunity of integrating conventional knowledge with Islamic knowledge in all fields of studies. Established in 1983, the Kulliyyah is now well recognised, having faculty members of eminence in various specialisations. It is also equipped with the state-of-the-art facilities to promote teaching and learning.
English is the medium of instruction for all programmes offered by the Kulliyyah. Currently, there are four departments offering various programmes, namely the Department of Economics, the Department of Business Administration, the Department of Accounting, and the Department of Finance.
The Department of Business Administration offers the Ph.D (Business Administration) to provide candidates with both practical skills and theoretical knowledge that integrates Islamic concepts and values to enable them to become a competent and analytical practitioner in both Islamic and conventional finance. The department’s greatest strengths are in the areas of Islamic Finance, Islamic Monetary System and Gold Dinar.
MODE OF PROGRAMME
12 credit hours of coursework (3 core courses and 1 elective course) + 68 credit hours of dissertation
The department welcomes research proposals in the following areas:
- Finance and Islamic Banking
- Human Resource
- Organizational Behaviour
* Subject to availability of supervisors
The Ph.D (Business Administration) programme consists of 12 credit hours of coursework and 68 credit hours of dissertation. These four courses are to be completed within the first year of the programme i.e. two courses per semester.
Quantitative Research Methods
As for the remaining 3 credit hours of course work, candidates will be given the option of choosing one of the following two courses:
Seminar on Contemporary Issues in Management
Ph.D THESIS PhD candidates will proceed to do research once they completed all the courses. At the research stage, the candidates need to prepare and defend their research proposal. Once the proposal is approved, the candidates will continue with their research. The final research work (thesis) needs to be defended in a viva voce.
DURATION OF STUDIES
|Full-time||2 academic years||3 academic years||6 academic years|
|Part-time||3 academic years||6 academic years||8 academic years|
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree with good grades from an accredited institution of higher learning or any other certificates recognised to be equivalent to a Bachelor's degree and with relevant professional experience AND;
- A relevant Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the Kulliyyah’s requirement, an applicant must produce satisfactory proof of proficiency of English Language by:
- The Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 or
- The International English Language Testing Services (IELTS) with a score of 6.0 or
- The IIUM-administered English Placement Test (EPT) with a minimum score 6.0.
Deputy Dean (Postgraduate)
Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences
International Islamic University Malaysia
P.O. Box 10, 50728 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel : 603-6421 4775 / 4634 / 4778
Fax : 603-6421 4850
* All information is correct at the time of publication. All requirements are subject to amendment by the Management of International Islamic University Malaysia