Special Needs Dentistry in Kulliyyah of Dentistry, IIUM Kuantan
Date : 06 March 2018
Reported by : Azlini Ismail
Category : Announcements
We are glad to announce that Kulliyyah of Dentistry, IIUM now can cater for Special Needs Dentistry.
Special Needs Dentistry (SND) is described as being concerned with providing and enabling the delivery of oral care for people with an impairment or disability.
SND applies to adults 17 years and above as Paediatric dentistry already covers children with special needs.
This includes, people who have physical, sensory, intellectual, mental, medical, emotional or social impairment. Eg: Autism, Down syndrome, Cerebral palsy, Dementia, people who are medically compromised such as Radiotherapy to head and neck, chemotherapy and /or with bisphosphonates as well as for those who have immuno-compromised conditions.
People with dental phobia also welcomed at SND unit in KOD as we have a range of alternatives to alleviate your dental anxiety.
Services provided by SND UNIT:
- Normal dental treatments with or without local anaesthesia.
- Dental treatments for people with physical impairment.
- Dental treatments under sedations: Inhalatation sedation using Nitrous oxide or Intravenous sedation using IV midazolam.
- Dental treatments for profound gag reflex using acupuncture with /without inhalation sedation.
- Dental treatments under General anaesthesia.
- Domiciliary visits by specialist and the team on monthly basis.
Our previous visits:
- Centre for People with Mental Health Problem or Disabilities at Kuantan, Pahang